Main Article Content
Objective: The aim of this study is to show that Oenanthe albonigra is the new record for the avifauna of Turkey.
Material and Methods: This report includes the first record of Hume’s wheatear in Turkey which has been observed around the Historical Hoşap Castle in Van province. The observations were made out between 2014 and 2016. It is first recorded in 2014. And for 2015 and 2016 field studies have been planned. The field work was carried out in the months of May, June, July, August and September for each year. Fieldwork was done one day per month. In total, 15 observations were carried out during these three years
Results: The species Hume’s wheatear was observed for the first time inside the borders of Turkey in June 2014. The first detection of the species was achieved at Hoşap Castle, which belongs to the Gürpınar district of Van province. At the first encounter, two pairs (four individuals) were seen. The species was seen at 11 locations in total. The species were observed in the area in the period between May and September each year. In total, 6 individuals were recorded in 2015, and 10 individuals were recorded in 2016
Conclusion: By this study, it was revealed that the species Hume’s wheatear was detected during the observations in Van province for the first time in Turkey. Therefore, this species is a new record for birds of Turkey. The number of bird species in Turkey has been increased to 513 by this result. As a result of these observations, it was concluded that the species is a Summer Migrant for the area, and they incubate.
2. Ergene S. Birds of Turkey, Istanbul University Faculty of Science Monograph, Istanbul, 1945; 4: 361. 3. Vielliard J. Resultats Ornithologiques d’une Mission a Travers la Turquie. İstanbul Üniv.Fen Fak. Mecm. 1968; 33: 67-170.
4. Kummerloeve H Birds of Lake Van-Hakkari Province (East/Southeast Little Aisa) (Zur Avifauna des Van Gölü und Hakkari Gebietes E/SE – Kleinasien) İstanbul Univ. Faculty of Sci. J. Serial B Nu: 1969; 34: 245 -312.
5. Kirwan GM, Boyla K, Castell P, Demirci B, Özen M, Welch H. Marlow T The Birds of Turkey. Christopher Helm, London, 2008.
6. Kiziroğlu İ. Türkiye Kuşları Cep Kitabı (The pocket book for birds of Turkey). İnkılap Kitabevi. Ankara, Türkiye, 2015.
7. Heinzel H, Fitter R, Parslow J. Pocket Guide to Birds of Britain and Europe with North Africa and the Middle Eas). Saxon Photolitho Ltd. Rotolito Lombarda İtalya, 1995.
8. Swersson L, Mullarney K, Zatterström D. Collins Bird Guide, HarperCollins Publishers Ltd. Fulham Palace Road, London, 2009; 77-85
9. Adızel Ö, Durmuş A, Kiziroğlu, İ Lake Van Basin Typs of Bird Species. V. İnternational Eurasian Ornithology Congress. 10–13 May 2016; (Oral Presentation) Çanakkale, Turkey, 2016; Pp. 33.
10. Lepage D. Checklist of the birds of Van. Avibase, the world bird database. Retrieved from http://avibase.bsceoc. 2017.
11. Dobinson H, M. Bird Count. Keztrel Books. Published by Penguin Books Ltd. Hormondsworth, 1976.